On December 18, 2018, the DC Council passed the DC Water Consumer Protection Amendment Act of 2018. The Bill was the culmination of years of efforts to improve the experience between DC Water and its customers frustrated by escalating water and sewer rates and charges attributed to critically needed infrastructure improvements and repairs. The Bill became law on April 11, 2019.
The law authorizes OPC to assist DC Water consumers in the following ways:
- To investigate complaints about DC Water services, rates, and billing
- To represent DC Water consumers at administrative hearings on services offered by DC Water
- To advocate for DC Water consumers at its public hearings on rates
- To represent DC Water consumers at proceedings before local and federal regulatory agencies and the courts
- To advise and educate DC Water consumers about their legal rights and responsibilities
How OPC will work for you depends on the issues you are facing:
Effective April 11, 2019, OPC is authorized to directly assist DC Water ratepayers with service issues. This means OPC’s Water Services Division staff can independently begin an investigation of your complaint instead of referring it to DC Water.
Since October 2018, OPC has been contacted by more than 200 DC Water consumers with complaints on a variety of issues that include:
- high bills
- payment problems
- disconnection of service
- difficulty contacting a DC Water representative
- difficulty negotiating a payment arrangement to resolve a billing issue
- water service and sewer line clogs
- leaks and other plumbing problems causing increased consumption and higher bills
- installation of submeters in apartment buildings, creating first time individual water payments for tenants
When to contact OPC about your water related issue:
If you are experiencing issues with your water services, even if they are not described above, OPC recommends that you:
First, contact DC Water to try to resolve your complaint.
Then, if you are not satisfied with the resolution offered by DC Water, contact OPC’s water services division staff at (202) 727-3071.
OPC staff will review your complaint with you, then begin an investigation.
Once the investigation has been completed, staff will call you to review the findings and next steps that may need to be taken, including the appeals process.
To Contact DC Water:
- 1385 Canal Street, SE, Washington, DC 20003
- Phone: 202-787-2000 (M-F 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)
- Fax: 202-787-2333
- Twitter: @dcwater
Check out the DC Water Website: